Monday, October 21, 2013

Fangirl

For some reason, books just seem to be taking over around here. I can't help it. I mentioned in my previous post that I have read tons of books lately, so I guess that's just what's on my mind.

So, today I'm talking about Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.

Title: Fangirl
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Published: 2013
ISBN: 9781250030955

This book is the story of Cath's first year in college. She's kind of shy and uncomfortable around other people. So when her twin sister doesn't want to be her roommate, Cath ends up being roomates with a strange girl whose strange friends always seem to be around. Cath is a serious Simon Snow fan and is a very popular writer of Simon Snow fanfiction. She is very involved and, basically, obsessed with the fantasy world of Simon Snow, you she can't seem to fit in in the normal, everyday world. But, over the course of the school year, some things happen that really shake up her world.

Cath is obviously the main character of this book. However, there are several other important characters as well; her twin sister, Wren, her room mate Reagan, and Reagan's friend, Levi. All of these  characters become a huge part of Cath's life, even though that is sometimes not at all what she wants.

At times, Cath is a bit frustrating as a character, but she is completely relatable. The awkwardness she feels the first month of college is completely understandable and reminds me of the awkwardness that I experienced myself at this point in my life. Her experiences and reactions to them are so realistic. Levi is my favorite character. I think this is because he reminds me of guys I know in my real life. He is just that all-around good guy. You can't help but like him. 

I really enjoyed this book and finished it in two sittings. It reads really quickly and draws you in as well. I particularly enjoyed the snippets of Simon Snow between the chapters. Although it is a bit of a distraction from the main story, it is nice to get a little insight into this world that Cath is completely wrapped up in.

I would definitely recommend this book, specifically to college age girls. It is so completely realistic in describing the experience of the first year of college for a lot of people, especially those people who are just a little awkward and unsure of themselves. 

So...how about you? Have you read this book? Anything similar to this book? If so, I'd love to hear about it.


1 comment:

  1. I read it. I agree! I found it very enjoyable. There wasn't any major thing going on here. I think that's why I liked it. It was just about a girl and her first year in college. I could relate to it too because I had a hard time my first semester of college as well. If I'd known fanfiction existed when I was younger (high school/college), I probably would have written some myself. :)

    ReplyDelete