Monday, February 4, 2013

Gosh! I love these ladies!

Very late in my college years I made one of the best decisions of my life, a decision that was so completely atypical of anything I had previously done. I decided to join a sorority. Seriously, I was in my third or fourth year of college when I decided to do this. Most people make this decision early on, like in their first or second year. 

But, anyway, in 2005 I was given the opportunity to become a member of Alpha Sigma Alpha. 



Although I wasn't able to be an active member throughout my entire college experience, I am forever thankful for the time I did have as an active member before I graduated. I made some amazing friends and developed some of the strongest bonds that I still have today. 

Moving forward five years; I have graduated, completed grad school, gotten married, working at a grown up job, and this fabulous organization contacts me and asks if I am interested in being an advisor for the local chapter. 

So, of course I say yes. I agree to volunteer as a membership advisor and meet with new members once a week. At first, this was a little awkward being that I have grown up a little and moved on with my life, but I have to say how touched I am at seeing how so many things stay the same. The girls that are active members now have all come along since I graduated. Previously, I didn't know any of them. But, I have been so super excited to get to know these girls and build bonds with them as well. Regardless of when I was active, there are still so many things that we share and have in common. 

Even now, at this point in my life, I am thankful for Alpha Sigma Alpha and the many ways it has blessed my life. And I just wanted to share with you all the happiness and pride that I feel in being a member of this organization.

How about you? Were any of you in a sorority? Were you a typical "sorority girl"? Or were you like me, a sorority girl that was so completely the opposite of what people believe to be the typical "sorority girl"? 

I would love to hear about your Greek experiences!

1 comment:

  1. Found you on Southern Bloggers Rock. I was a founding member of Kappa Delta at NC State. And, I was definitely your atypical sorority girl. I love every single one of my sisters and found my best friends. But, I was the girl everybody looked at and was like "oh you're a sorority girl? I would've never guessed that." But, I loved it and miss it a lot.

    ReplyDelete