Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tough Weekend

Welcome back to the work week. It always seems like its extra hard to go back to work after a long weekend. I have enjoyed seeing everyone's pictures and posts about their Labor Day fun.

Sadly though, the weekend was not quite as joyful for my family. Last Friday, August 31st, my grandfather peacefully passed away after being quite ill for some time. He would have turned 85 this month.

Last Spring he was still up and about and living a pretty active life, however he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and it seemed from that point on his health began to continually deteriorate. For myself and the rest of our family, this was very difficult to see. In the past, he had always been a rather large man, but still very active and pretty healthy.

There are so many aspects of my grandfather that made him remarkable, but there are a couple of specific things that he was particularly proud of. First of all, my grandfather loved God. For his entire life, he was a faithful member and deacon at the same church. He loved his family and the people in our community more than himself. He always gave of himself in order to help others.

My grandfather was also proud of the business he built from the ground up. In 1957 he began building what would eventually become a world-wide provider of goldfish and tropical fish. I know this isn't a normal endeavor by any means, but he had a dream and pursued it with a passion. You can read more about the story of his business here. 

But, in the end, I will always remember him as my Pappaw. He was unique, interesting, lovable, and very straightforward. He was definitely not a man to mince words. You always knew what he was thinking and where you stood with him. I'm definitely going to miss him more than I can say.

I hope I didn't dampen anyone's wonderful day. That wasn't my intention. I just wanted to share my thoughts and memories of a wonderful man that made a huge impact on my life.

5 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your loss but glad that he is at peace. I will be praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss. Keeping you & your family in my thoughts & prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. Much appreciated!

      Delete
  3. my thoughts and prayers are with your family. much love.

    ReplyDelete