Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Yes, I know Dirty Dancing was made in the 80's

So, last week I was vacationing in Virginia. Mainly, we were visiting major historical points of interest (because we are cool like that). We had already seen the sights at Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg, Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, and a few other places. And I must say, each of those stops were very interesting and informative. I had such a nerdy good time.

But then, we were driving down the road and just happened to come across signs advertising this gem of a pit stop.




This, my friends, is the real Kellerman's resort where Dirty Dancing was filmed! 

First of all, I had absolutely no idea that this was a REAL place, much less a functioning hotel and resort with available rooms. Secondly, I had no idea that it was in Virginia. 

So, we had to. We rented a room for the night and were able to see and learn all about this interesting property with an amazing history. 

I was surprised to learn that the movie was actually filmed in (mostly) two locations; the Mountain Lake hotel in Virginia, and Lake Lure in North Carolina. 


The main scenes filmed on this property include the scenes involving the dining room, the cabin that Baby's family stays in, the gazebo where Baby goes to find Johnny after seeing Penny crying, and the lawn where the guests have the wig party. 

Guys, this property is soooo amazingly beautiful! I was literally stunned by the mountains and scenery that surrounded us.




Our accommodations even included a four course dinner and breakfast as well. So, even aside from the amazing view and comfortable room, we were provided with good meals. 

I even came home with this really great T-shirt. 


If you have the chance, this place is definitely worth a visit (even if you aren't a Dirty Dancing fan).

2 comments:

  1. My FAVORITE movie! Ha! I would love to visit there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool. I am totally jealous. I had no idea it was a real place!

    ReplyDelete