Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Perks

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
By: Stephen Chbosky

"... And in that moment, I swear we were infinite."
Maybe I'm a little behind the bandwagon, but I just now read this. Apparently everyone else has already read this...like, years ago. Well, somehow I missed it. While I was working at the bookstore, every time I turned around someone was telling me how great this book is. I had very high expectations for this book as I went in. And, I wasn't entirely disappointed. Truthfully, it wasn't anything I was expecting. As I began reading, my preconceived notions about the book slowly disappeared .
Charlie, the narrator, goes through a year of high school and experiences most of the things everyone goes through, he just recounts it in such a way that exemplifies a far more mature point of view than I had at that age. He has been told that he needs to "participate" more in life instead of just sitting on the sidelines and watching it all pass by. He develops several friendships with several older students from his school that introduce him to a variety of situations, his first real date, drug use, and sexual relationships. Charlie is a character himself that grows and develops throughout the book. He isn't the same in the end as he was when he is first introduced in the early pages.
In the end, while this may not be a very new book, and it may not have actually been what I was expecting, but it was a very enjoyable read. I was totally sad when it was finished. I felt like I grew to know each of the characters and I was left wanting to know more after I had finished reading the last page. I guess I would recommend this to someone. It wouldn't be a the top of my list, but I can easily see how other people may even enjoy it more than I did. So, if you think you might be interested, go ahead and read it...it's pretty good, not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment